linen top pattern

Posted on | July 25, 2007 | 30 Comments

I posted a photo of this linen top to my flickr page and had a couple of people ask about the pattern so I thought I’d offer it here. It’s a good summer knitting project (no heavy wool here) and a good summer top to wear. The work is done from side to side and stretches open quite a bit after blocking.

Finished Size: about 50” (127 cm) circumference, and 17” (43 cm) long, measured from shoulder to hem.

Yarn: Louet Sales Euroflax Sport Weight (100% Linen; 270 yd [246 m]/ 3.5 oz [100] g), 2 skeins. I made this quite a few years ago when the skeins were bigger and used one skein but I think you will need just a bit more than one. The top weighs 116 g.

Needles: Size 9 (5.5-mm)

Gauge: 11 sts and 19 rows = 4” (10 cm) in St st AFTER BLOCKING.

Eyelet Ridge: First row (WS) Knit. Next row (RS): *Yo, k2tog; repeat from *. Next row (WS): Knit.

Pattern: (Make 2) With the long tail method, loosely CO 46 sts. Starting with a purl row, work in St st for 24 rows. Next row (WS) work Eyelet Ridge. Continue in St st for 64 rows. Next row (WS) work Eyelet Ridge. Continue in St st for 24 rows. Bind off loosely.

Finishing: Wet block to desired measurements. Sew sides 8“ (20.5 cm) from hem. Sew shoulders 5“ (12.5 cm) from edge. If you want a firmer neckline, single crochet around neck edge. Weave in ends.

Comments

30 Responses to “linen top pattern”

1. Connie
    July 25th, 2007 @ 6:07 am

Cool! Thanks for the pattern. It’s a very pretty, net-like, ephemeral design – perfect for summer!

2. Carlene
    July 25th, 2007 @ 11:18 am

That is beautiful. Thanks so much for the pattern.

3. Nonnahs
    July 25th, 2007 @ 2:25 pm

What a cute, easy-breezy summer top!

4. Marnie
    July 25th, 2007 @ 2:44 pm

What a perfect design for linen. It’s really quite chic.

5. Kitty Kitty
    July 25th, 2007 @ 4:17 pm

Thank you so much for posting the pattern. It is really beautiful and in this summer heat I think we are all looking for relief.

Thank you so much !!!!

6. Nan
    July 25th, 2007 @ 7:47 pm

This is lovely. Thanks so much! It would work up nicely in some of the Habu yarns too…

7. Gudrun Johnston
    July 25th, 2007 @ 8:55 pm

I love what can be achieved with a simple construction. Great design!

8. Iris G
    July 26th, 2007 @ 12:20 am

Oh I just saw this at Ravelry! It’s simply cute ;-) .

9. Mandy
    July 27th, 2007 @ 9:13 am

This is really beautiful, Kat. :)

10. EDNA HART
    July 27th, 2007 @ 5:41 pm

I remember the first time I saw you wearing this top and I knew I had to buy some of this yarn…This design sure holds up..because I think that was at least 3 yrs. ago..

11. Anonymous
    August 2nd, 2007 @ 4:50 am

That’s a great picture of you! I’m so used to seeing you with glasses on. I love the top, too !
    Beth

12. Liz
    October 19th, 2009 @ 7:28 pm

I am new to knitting and this is the most difficult project I’ve tackled. Can someone please tell me if I am counting correctly—the first row (WS) is purl, and the 24th row (RS) is knit, staring on the WS for the eyelet ridge, I do a row of knit (WS), then a row of yarn over and knit 2 together (RS), then a row of knit (WS) and then what? On the RS after the eyelet ridge, do I now do a knit or a purl? If a knit, then row 64 will be a purl (WS) and then do I start the eyelet ridge on the RS? Is my thinking correct?

13. Turtleknits
    February 22nd, 2010 @ 12:19 pm

I love this! Thanks for sharing the pattern.

14. Christie Coyle
    April 11th, 2010 @ 2:09 pm

Saw something made up at our local Knitter’s Fantasy show organized by Northcoast Knitting Guild in Ohio. Loved it – sample was shown in a great ‘no-color’ linen and I have to make them for my (3) grown-up girls. Thanks so much. Fun to share our name.

15. Ellen
    May 26th, 2010 @ 5:03 am

I made one last year but used a bamboo blend yarn, and my God, did it grow! I’m making my second using Reynolds Soft Linen, a flax-acrylic blend.

16. Chloe
    July 21st, 2010 @ 3:26 pm

I’m so enjoying working on this pattern with a beautiful shade of Euroflax (violet) and it’s ’stiffness’ does not hurt my hands. It actually softens up even while working with it. My one problem is that I do not understand the instruction in the eyelet ridge pattern “Continue in St ST for 24 rows). Does that mean that after the K Row following the yo, k2tog row, do I start the Stockinette portion anew with ANOTHER knit row, or do I merely do a purl row following that knit row, and start counting from that first knit row following the yo, k2tog row. In other words should it read first row: K; second row, yo, etc.; third row: K, fourth row: K (and start counting for stockinette)? Thanks for any help on this. I’m sort of winging it on this top but want to get it right on the next one (already have the yarn!).

17. Kat
    July 22nd, 2010 @ 12:23 am

I’ve written the pattern out in a different way, that might be more easy to understand:

Row 1 (WS): Purl

Row 2 (RS): Knit

Repeat rows 1 and 2 for 24 rows.

work Eyelet ridge thus

Row 25 (WS): Knit

Row 26 (RS): *Yo, k2tog; repeat from *.

Row 27 (WS): Knit

(then work in St st as follows)

Row 28 (RS): Knit

Row 29 (WS): Purl

Rep rows 28 and 29 for 64 rows.

work Eyelet ridge

Row 93 (WS): Knit.

Row 94 (RS): Yo, k2tog; repeat from *.

Row 95 (WS): Knit.

(then work in St st as follows)

Row 96 (RS): Knit

Row 97 (WS): Purl.

Repeat rows 96 and 97 for 24 rows.

I hope this helps!
    Kat

18. Chris
    March 14th, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

Thank You for the pattern. I’ve had a couple skeins of euroflax linen hanging around for a few years! Now I know what to do with it. It looks lovely on you, btw

19. Mir
    April 5th, 2011 @ 2:04 am

Kudos for this wonderful pattern!

20. 2011年完工的编织物 – 2 | Life is . . .
    May 15th, 2011 @ 6:41 pm

[...] Linen Top by Kat [...]

21. Bonnie Murphy
    August 3rd, 2011 @ 4:02 am

great pattern I used euroflax (goldie color from stash)I have a suggestion knit both pieces separatly at the same time on circular needles this way the pieces will measure exact. (one of mine was a bit smaller than the other although blocking helped. I love this top . TY Bonnie

22. Barbara
    August 9th, 2011 @ 1:36 pm

Just what I’ve been looking for. Thanks for posting it on Ravelry. I think it will nit only be grate for summer, but also to dress up a dress for going out in the evening

23. The Linen Top « In The Making
    March 5th, 2012 @ 7:07 am

[...] For the complete original pattern of The Linen Top, click here. [...]

24. Oh, what Habu-tiful morning… « Leona's Midlife Crisis
    March 25th, 2012 @ 8:43 pm

[...] is the front of Kat Coyle’s Linen Top , which I made with some leftover Louet sport weight I have tried to knit into things three times [...]

25. Mildred
    June 9th, 2012 @ 9:10 am

Thinking about enlarging this pattern. Any suggestions?

26. Trout Girl
    June 23rd, 2012 @ 6:10 pm

Saw someone wearing this in NYC today. She added an extra yarn over to create a double eyelet hole – and she knitted it longer than the original. It was so attractive – simple but eyecatching.

27. Gwen
    July 7th, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

I keep having trouble with the Eyelet ridge row. If I start with the yarn over, I have a stitch left at the end. Do I just knit that one, or am I doing something wrong?

28. LindaMay
    April 19th, 2013 @ 12:53 am

Ihave the same leftover last stitch on the eyelet row…I just knit it….but for some reason I have had to tear out the second eyelet row twice…it does not match the other one…geez…I wonder if I did the first one wrong…don’t really care as long as I can get them to match!!!! Like the pattern…this is a trial run….my “real” tarnish on the way!!!

29. LindaMay
    April 19th, 2013 @ 12:54 am

Yarn is on the way….

30. lynda
    July 10th, 2014 @ 6:48 pm

Thanks so much for this pattern. I am preparing to move from Anchorage, Alaska to Houston, Tx, but don’t want to quit knitting. This is perfect!