god’s eyes

Posted on | November 30, 2007 | 15 Comments

Collecting the sticks was really fun. Felix and I took a long walk in the park. We saw a lot of dogs, ran into old friends, listened to the birds and looked at the view from the top of the hill. In one direction was the downtown skyline, in the other direction was the 5 freeway. Cars driving on the freeway look pretty when seen from above.

Our stick gathering expedition had a purpse. We want to make god’s eyes to decorate the house for Christmas.

Click the picture above to see it BIGGER.

Here are the ones we have made so far. WOW I have a huge yarn stash. So far I dipped into my Brown Sheep Nature Spun bags because I like the bright colors and the weight of the yarn. I also used some lace weight mohair and a sequined carry along thread.

Johnny wants to make a multidimensional star. I’ll write another post after we have more and the tree is up.

Comments

15 Responses to “god’s eyes”

1. Connie
    November 30th, 2007 @ 6:56 pm

Wow, this brings back memories. I totally remember making these as a kid! Though I can’t remember what the context was – girl scouts maybe?

Glad you and Felix had fun and that you put your stash to good use. :)

2. Gudrun Johnston
    November 30th, 2007 @ 7:57 pm

What a great idea for xmas decorations! Thanks for sharing…I’m sure my kids would enjoy this

3. Eliza
    November 30th, 2007 @ 8:55 pm

These are so beautiful! I’m having trouble understanding the scale though. Are they big? (we made little ones in kindergarten too, with popsicle sticks)

Also, what is that gorgeous orange tapestry behind your God’s eyes?

4. kat coyle
    November 30th, 2007 @ 9:05 pm

Hi Eliza,
    I hope you check back because your email wasn’t displayed. The sticks for the white and green one are about 12 inches long. The sticks for the the small one next to are about 5″ long. But, of course you can make them much bigger. Smaller than 5″ is a little tricky but not for nimble fingers.
    The orange behind them is just a painted wall.

5. Michele
    December 1st, 2007 @ 4:03 am

they look fantastic against the orange wall.

6. Sonya
    December 1st, 2007 @ 5:41 am

A multi-dimensional star hey? Now tell me, is that totally within character?

7. Julia (MindofWinter)
    December 1st, 2007 @ 2:52 pm

I love those God’s eyes – what a great decoration for the season!

8. mary jane
    December 1st, 2007 @ 9:01 pm

I wondered what you had in mind for those sticks. When I first saw them in the vase on flickr.com, I was reminded of Mortitia and her rose stems, she would carefully clip off the rose and display the thorns!
    The gods eyes are so pretty and satisfying to make too. What fun you and Felix have had!

9. heidi
    December 2nd, 2007 @ 7:17 pm

Those are beautiful. I remember seeing them somewhere before, (not making them, though), and I never knew they were called God’s eyes. Knowing the name gives them an even lovelier appearence!

10. Anonymous
    December 3rd, 2007 @ 5:00 pm

Those are beautiful–a great alternative to traditional Christmas decorations. I really like the second from the left–was that Felix’s?

- MJ

11. kat coyle
    December 3rd, 2007 @ 7:51 pm

mary jane: ha! mortitia one of my tv idols. i hadn’t thought of her when i made my sticks bouquet but now i will :)

MJ: That’s my favorite one too. Felix helped with the color combinations but he’s still a little young for all the winding involved in making these. He’s trying and having fun with it but the yarn keeps getting tangled up.

12. Gracie
    December 5th, 2007 @ 4:43 pm

Wow, I remember making these at home. I love it! I really love the added beads. I can’t wait to see your tree!

13. bjohn
    December 7th, 2007 @ 11:42 pm

I have come to your site many times to look again at your beautiful God’s eyes. They are peaceful and so beautiful. Thanks for sharing them with all of us. You and Felix have added so much to my holiday spirit. Thank you -

14. kat coyle
    December 8th, 2007 @ 12:33 am

thanks gracie and bjohn. i’m so glad you have enjoyed these simple crafts.

15. Laurie
    April 11th, 2013 @ 3:16 pm

Hello kat… I absolutely love your vivid photo of the God’s eyes! I am doing a presentation for a graduate course and the image is wonderful to symbolize seeing the world through God’s eyes. As I don’t see you have copyrighted the images, and the website is not copyrighted, I do hope you are happy for me to use the image in my work! I will of course provide a link to your website and perhaps this will help support you in some way, as well. Any questions, do feel free to email me! Best wishes, Laurie