New Shawl pattern, Courting Sophia at Twist Collective

Posted on | April 20, 2010 | 20 Comments

The new Twist Collective came out last week, and it’s filled with beautiful knitting patterns. I’m so, so, so, pleased to be a part of it. My shawl pattern Courting Sophia is one of a few gorgeous lace shawl and scarf patterns. It’s great to have a nice variety of lace patterns to choose from. My piece was inspired by hand woven lace shawls from Mexico, fairy tales and the art knitting of Mary Walker Phillips.

The photo above is from Twist Collective. Photo copyright Caroline Bergeron.
I like the dramatic swirl of fabric and the dance like movement, dashing off to the spring fiesta.
Ravelry link for Courting Sophia.

As I recall the theme mentioned with the submission page had something to do with parties. In my imagination I pictured a landscape with wispy trees, lacy fences, and strings of lights. I tried to convey the landscape of romance at a summer party.
The folk art painting above is from a plate hanging in my mother’s house. I like to knit with her and I know that images like this plate influence my design work.

Shawl and skirt image from Self Portrait in a Velvet Dress, a book of Frida Kahlo’s wardrobe beautifully photographed and catalogued for the world to admire.

The lovely, golden yarn, Laci from Blue Moon Fiber Arts, in 24-karat color way, no less, adds to the effect of a deep summer glow.

After the issue came out, I got excited to knit another Courting Sophia. Lately, I’ve become obsessed with red.

After knitting a few rows, I thought it would be great fun to add more colors! In my mind, the mohair stripes with pink and white triangles represent the smoggy, horizon with mountains landscape of Los Angeles.
If you decide to include intarsia details, make sure you work with bobbins. At first, I tried it with the yarns hanging loose. What a mess! Imagine thirty different lace weight yarns tangled up. Once, I got organized with bobbins, everything got a lot simpler.

Here is my palette. A wide assortment of wool, mohair and alpaca yarns, with one mystery glitzy thread. Metallics used sparingly are like flashes of light.
ravelry link for the red Courting Sophia and yellow Courting Sophia.

More inspiration from Frida Kahlo’s closet.

Comments

20 Responses to “New Shawl pattern, Courting Sophia at Twist Collective”

1. Marnie
    April 20th, 2010 @ 11:31 am

I love everything about this shawl from the design, to the color to the styling in the pattern. Truly a work of art. I hope it’s hugely popular.

Your intarsia version is amazing. The bold colors manage to be harmonious and exciting all at once. Love it.

2. michele
    April 20th, 2010 @ 11:34 am

this post is such a visual feast! that golden Kahlo skirt and then the golden shawl – it’s so nice to see your creative process here.

and also to read about it – you mention Twist suggesting a party theme for submissions and now i can totally set with Courting Sophia.

i also like your reference to the mohair and the LA mountains and sky. and this makes me think about my recent obsession with white and cream – it makes total sense with all the snow and the long winters we have here.

a really inspiring post!

3. michele
    April 20th, 2010 @ 11:38 am

opps i mean i can totally ’see’ it with Courting Sophia – the summer party feeling

4. Gudrun
    April 20th, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

So beautiful Kat…..definitely makes me think of a summer party.

5. annri
    April 20th, 2010 @ 5:17 pm

oh, such gorgeous color & texture throughout this entire post! i love that 24karat colorway; it’s like a swath of sunshine. the multi-color shawl is to-die-for…

6. gay
    April 20th, 2010 @ 7:50 pm

this shawl is insppired i can’t decide which i love most the colorful red or the sunny gold. beautiful kat. i also loved hearing about your process too!

7. Suvi
    April 21st, 2010 @ 1:06 am

It’s a gorgeous shawl!

8. Kathleen
    April 21st, 2010 @ 7:16 am

Love the original design (that colorway is amazing, and I’m not really a yellow person), as well as your colorful take on it – so Frida. And I’m totally in love with her skirt! Thanks for sharing the whole thing.

9. Ava
    April 21st, 2010 @ 7:52 am

Beautiful!

10. Ingela Ringvall
    April 21st, 2010 @ 8:00 am

Use to reed your blog, but never left a comment
    before—-
    The shawl is just stunning-Beautiful!

The hole post is beautiful,and very inspiring.
    Kind regards

11. carrie
    April 21st, 2010 @ 9:41 am

this is a beautiful post. and that is one exquisite shawl!

12. Debbie
    April 21st, 2010 @ 3:55 pm

I just love the color on you blog. You always have the most amazing colors! I think that the reason I loved the shawl so much (besides it being one of your designs!)was because of the color of the yarn. By the way, I order mine last Friday, and I still don’t have it!!!! I’m so eager to receive it. I love this shawl!

13. Kat
    April 21st, 2010 @ 4:29 pm

thanks everyone, so much, for all these kind comments!

14. Jill aka Tink
    April 22nd, 2010 @ 6:45 am

Love this post… the trajectory of your creative ramblings is a delight to follow. I am waiting patiently for the perfect yarn to Court Sophia with Frida on my shoulder! Did you read Lacuna yet? I was disappointed… I like the Frida in my own heart more…
    Jill

15. carlene
    April 23rd, 2010 @ 7:00 pm

I love this shawl, I’ve never made a shawl before, but I think I need this one.

And the Frida book! Why haven’t I seen this book before?

16. Twisted Knitter
    April 28th, 2010 @ 4:23 pm

One Great Knitter : knitcroblo3…

Today’s topic is “One Great Knitter” – Write about a knitter whose work (whether because of project choice, photography, styling, scale of projects, stash, etc) you enjoy. It’s so difficult to restrict myself to just one knitter whose work……

17. Angie
    April 29th, 2010 @ 7:57 am

Wow, really beautiful. Well done!

18. Tenli
    May 10th, 2010 @ 8:50 am

Beautiful design, and I love being taken on a tour of the influences that contributed to the design process. Inspirational!

19. Aggie
    May 20th, 2010 @ 3:03 am

Ths shawl is pure delish!
    I wonder what this place could inspire you ;-D
    here

the first photo with the Buren’s columns.

20. flossy-p
    June 9th, 2010 @ 5:51 pm

Your knitting is exquisite! That yellow shawl is probably the most lovely I’ve seen.