Flying Home

Posted on | February 16, 2012 | 12 Comments

Last week Quince & Co. published a series of scarf patterns. I’m pleased to say that one of them is mine.

Have you tried Quince yarn? It’s loverly. I used Tern; just one skein. In seaweed colorway. I spent every summer as a kid swimming in the ocean. I think seaweed color is ingrained in my personal memory palette. That and sky blue.

My scarf is called Flying Home. One day, while I was working on the design I was out with my son and we happened to look up and saw a flock of birds flying in a V shape, bringing to mind the lace stitch used in my scarf. There’s a kind of romance to it that appeals to me.

This Beautiful photograph is from Carrie Bostick Hoge

This design works well in all weights of yarn, and because it is worked from the top down, it’s easily modified.

It’s the same scarf but worked in Chickadee a sweet plump yarn from Quince & Co.

The pattern is available as a pdf download at Quince & Co.
Ravelry link here.

Comments

12 Responses to “Flying Home”

1. brooke
    February 16th, 2012 @ 7:10 pm

The seaweed version is so beautiful!

2. Marnie
    February 16th, 2012 @ 9:33 pm

Another absolutely gorgeous design. You always find a way to make things beautiful without being fussy.

3. Suvi
    February 16th, 2012 @ 11:32 pm

It’s beautiful! I also love the name and the story behind it.

4. tiah
    February 17th, 2012 @ 7:43 am

Beautiful. And nice to see you blogging.

5. knitlit kate
    February 20th, 2012 @ 7:19 am

such poetry in your design, kat! i love that you look at a flock of birds and think of lace knitting. congrats on your lovely designs…and thanks for always inspiring us! xokate

6. amiee
    February 20th, 2012 @ 3:44 pm

kat, it is so perfectly beautiful. i was seeking a pattern for the shawlette for my littlest sister, she is getting married in august and this will be so perfect to give for that day.

as always, you design sense and talent shine shine shine. :) love wearing my red bracelet it reminds me of you whenever i see it. xoxo a

7. connie
    February 21st, 2012 @ 10:01 pm

Hi Kat, the scarf is beautiful and it’s good to “hear” your voice again. I hope you and Felix are well.

8. Joanne willoughby
    March 22nd, 2012 @ 4:38 pm

hi Kat! Love your Flying home shawl pattern! I finished one to six of the lace pattern. However in the instructions there isn’t any notice of how many repeats of the lace pattern to do in each row so I just ” winged it ” and repeated it as many times as would fit til the number of stitches you indicated is left in each row. So that seems ok but the number of stitches at the end is 88 after all the repeats in each row. I guess only the stitches (yo’s) at the beginning and the end of each row per instructions were counted? Am I reading it right? Thanks!

9. Joanne willoughby
    March 22nd, 2012 @ 5:08 pm

Oh Kat, never mind! I was knitting both th written beginning and ending of each row with the complete chart not realizing the chart had the written already on it! Although I still think that more stitches are created counting the yo’s in the lace pattern. Will start again! Hence my name Boston Frogger !

10. Joanne willoughby
    March 23rd, 2012 @ 6:33 am

Again Kat, never mind! Realized I forgot the k2tog and ssk balance the lace pattern increases! grandma brain+ coming down with a cold. Can’t wait to work the scarf correctly! It is beautiful and I am starting to get addicted to lace AND shawls. Sorry to have bothered you!

11. Kat
    March 23rd, 2012 @ 7:18 am

Don’t worry about it! I’m happy you are on track and enjoying the pattern.

12. lori
    April 13th, 2012 @ 8:29 pm

such a lovely shawl, i’m over from she shoots sheep shots. love quince wool too, i’m off to queue this now. thank you!